Minutes of the January 9, 2020 Meeting
Board of Trustees of the Beacon Meadows Special Dependent Tax District
Carrollwood Cultural Center, 4537 Lowell Rd., Tampa, Florida

AGENDA

Trustees Present:          Wendy McCrorey (President), Barbara Appel (Treasurer), Penny Phillips (Secretary), Allen McCrorey (Trustee), Angela Lucero (Trustee), Anne Blevins (Trustee)

Trustees Absent:           Shirley Williams (Vice President)

 

The meeting was called to order by Wendy at 7:02 p.m.

 

Secretary's Report

The minutes of the December 2019 meeting were read by Trustees in advance.  Barbara made a motion, seconded by Wendy, that the minutes be approved.  The motion was approved by a vote of 6-0. 

 

Treasurer’s Report (December 2019) (rounded to nearest dollar)

Revenues:                                           $21,680

Expenses: 

              Utilities (43.00) -                                                 $74

              Landscape maintenance (46.00) -                        $800

              Operating supplies (holiday decorations) (52.00) - $114

              Irrigation repairs (not covered by grant) (46.00) - $516

              Entrance refurbishing/replanting (46.00) -          $2,095

Cash in bank:                                     $42,883

Available to spend:                             $30,383

 

Old Business

 

Unaudited Financial Statement Update – Barbara reported that she and Wendy finalized the process by entering required information into LOGER at the Local Governments website of the Florida Dept. of Financial Services.

 

Mobley Homes Issues (Banner at Casey Rd. and Jackson Rd./Repair, Pressure Washing and Painting of Jackson Rd. Wall/Proposed Landscaping) – Penny reported that she had not been contacted by Tim Mobley, Jr. or any other representative of Mobley Homes during the past month. She recommended she request that the holes in the walls at the corner of Casey Rd. and Jackson Rd. be repaired by Mobley Homes as soon as possible, since there has not been a request for use of the walls for a new banner.  Although the color of paint is still an issue, Barbara volunteered to touch up the repaired holes with the remaining paint used on other walls.  However, the repair job must be done with as little defacing to the walls as possible.  Penny agreed to contact Tim Mobley, Jr. with this request.

 

Hillsborough County 2019 Low-Volume Irrigation Grants – Wendy reported that the project has been completed.  She, Allen, and Shirley were at the sites during much of the installation and refurbishing/replanting to ensure all went well.  LeBel Landscaping did not charge for locating the values but did submit an estimate ($516) for repair/replacement of the existing irrigation systems at both entrances. However, after inspection, it was agreed by Wendy, Allen, and Shirley that the irrigation systems were working properly. Therefore, the statement of revenues and expenditures can be corrected to reflect that $516 will not be paid. Jay’s Property Maintenance submitted an invoice to Barbara for refurbishing/replanting ($2,095), as previously approved by the Board, and Barbara paid for this electronically. Penny reported that Shirley submitted LeBel Landscaping’s invoice to the County for payment through the grant and provided the required photos of the entire project. Allen reported that he spent $15.19 for two bags of soil and a plastic valve box cover to replace the broken box at the Gunn Hwy. entrance and to fill in the hole.  Penny made a motion, seconded by Barbara, that Allen be reimbursed $15.19 for the items.  The motion was approved by a vote of 6-0.  Allen also reported that the Lebel Landscaping crew had set the timers for the drip systems to run three days per week and twice on those days because of the new plants. Since this was questionable, Barbara agreed to contact Jay’s Property Maintenance to confirm the correct setting. Trustees agreed that the existing irrigation systems at both entrances needed to run only two or three minutes once a week during the winter months to keep the sprinklers operating.  Allen agreed to reset the sprinkler timers.

 

Records Management Compliance – The topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.

 

Future Pressure Washing/Painting of Gunn Hwy., Casey Rd., and Jackson Rd. Walls – Wendy reported that all three walls had been pressure washed in September 2017.  After discussion of this topic, it was agreed that major repairs to the Gunn Hwy. wall should be addressed first. The topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.

 

Major Repairs to Gunn Hwy. Wall – Barbara reported that the next section of the wall to be repaired is section #19 because it is leaning the most.  However, this is the section where pavers have been installed up to the foundation of the wall, and they would need to be removed for that section to be repaired.  Penny recommended that the Board consider hiring an attorney for contacting the property owners.  Barbara agreed to contact T-3 Construction to make sure the company is still interested in repairing the wall.  Also, she will ask T-3 Construction and at her workplace about finding an attorney to assist with the pavers issue.

 

Holiday Decorations at Entrances – Anne reported that she purchased four boxes of lights for the entrances for next year.  However, since the cost was very low (approximately $6.00), she has donated the lights and will not request reimbursement.

 

New Business

 

Board Approval of Unaudited Financial Statement for FY20 - Penny reminded Trustees of the steps for approval of an unaudited financial statement for the current fiscal year:  1) Trustees must approve this in a regular monthly Board meeting, and the motion and vote must be recorded in the minutes of the meeting. 2) Subsequently, a notification must be sent by first class mail to each property owner in the District and to the County to advise of the decision to submit an unaudited financial statement. The mailing must be postmarked no later than September 30, 2019.  Therefore, Barbara made a motion, seconded by Wendy, to approve preparation and submission of an unaudited financial statement for the current fiscal year, pursuant to County guidelines. The motion was approved by a vote of 6-0.  The notifications will be prepared and mailed sometime after the public budget hearing in June.

 

There being no further business, Penny made a motion, seconded by Wendy, that the meeting be adjourned, which was approved by a vote of 6-0.  Wendy adjourned the meeting at 7:50 p.m.

 

 

Penny Phillips, Secretary            ____________________________

 

Wendy McCrorey, President      ____________________________