Minutes of the August 13, 2020 Meeting
Board of Trustees of the Beacon Meadows Special Dependent Tax District
Carrollwood Cultural Center, 4537 Lowell Rd., Tampa, Florida

SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR TELECONFERENCE

Starting at 6:55 P.M., using touch tone phone, call 1-718-819-1710

and enter the PIN: 5263533

AGENDA

NOTE:  Because COVID-19 caused a reduction in hours of operation of the facility, the meeting was conducted by teleconference (Conference Now) with Barbara Appel hosting.  Instructions for participating in the teleconference were posted on the Beacon Meadows website and included in the meeting agenda and meeting reminder to Trustees.

 

Trustees Participating:   Wendy McCrorey (President), Shirley Williams (Vice President), Barbara Appel (Treasurer), Penny Phillips (Secretary), Allen McCrorey (Trustee), Anne Blevins (Trustee)

Trustees Not Participating:  Angela Lucero (Trustee)

 

The meeting was called to order by Wendy at 7:10 p.m.

 

Secretary's Report 

The minutes of the July 2020 meeting were read by Trustees in advance.  Barbara made a motion, seconded by Wendy, that the minutes be approved.  The motion was approved by a vote of 6-0, with no opposing votes. 

 

Treasurer’s Report (July 2020) (rounded to nearest dollar)

Revenues:  $0

Expenses: 

            Utilities (43.00) - $125

Landscape maintenance (46.00) - $800

            Notification postcards to property owners (41.00) - $139

            Annual backflow prevention devices testing (46.00) - $70

Cash in bank:  $39,425

Available to spend:  $33,925

 

Old Business

Unaudited Financial Statement Notifications to Property Owners – Barbara reported that the postcards had been printed and mailed to property owners in early August.  For some reason, they had been mailed out twice.  This was likely a mistake on the part of Vistaprint, but Barbara will contact the company if there is a second charge.  She also reported that the District’s credit card had expired without prior notice, so she charged the printing/mailing expense ($138.79) on her personal credit card.  Penny made a motion, seconded by Wendy, that Barbara be electronically reimbursed $138.79 (41.00) for the Vistaprint printing/mailing of notification postcards to property owners. The motion was approved by a vote of 6-0, with no opposing votes.

 

Pressure Washing of Gunn Hwy. and Casey Rd. Walls/Stucco Repair on Gunn Hwy. Wall – Wendy reported that she had contacted Jim Sears (Gator Property Management) several times regarding his offer to remove branches and shrubbery hanging over the Gunn Hwy. and Casey Rd. walls for $200. Although he agreed to complete the job by August 13, the work had not been completed as of the time of the meeting.  Wendy asked Trustees if they had recommendations for others who could do the work.  Barbara offered to contact Claudio Pinheiro of Bay Pro Services and Anne offered to contact her lawn care service.  Wendy will try again to get a commitment from Mr. Sears to complete the job and then let Barbara and Anne know if they should pursue other options.  Up to $400 was approved at the July Board meeting for this work, so Trustees agreed Wendy has the authority to hire another company for up to that amount.  Once the work has been completed, Penny will coordinate with Integrity Pressure Cleaning to schedule a date range for pressure washing the walls. Once the date range is established, Penny and Wendy will distribute notices to residents living along the two walls about upcoming pressure washing.

 

Major Repairs to Gunn Hwy. Wall – It was agreed by Trustees to table the topic until a future Board meeting.

 

New Business

 

Records Management – Revisions to General Records Schedule GS1-SL – Penny reported that when she receives a copy of the revised document, she will review the changes and determine how the item numbers/titles on the District’s records inventory may need to be changed and how the documents on the Beacon Meadows website may need to be updated.  Also, items were added to the schedule, so she will determine which of the new ones may apply to the District’s records.

 

Potential Alternate Location/Date for Board Meetings Due to COVID-19 – Penny outlined issues which have arisen with the FY21 Board meeting schedule (required to be approved/advertised by October, with dates and a physical address, plus the advertisement submitted to the County by November 30).

  • The Governor’s recent Executive Order has approved “communications media technology” for local governing board meetings/hearings pertaining to non-ad valorem assessments through October 15.  It is unlikely that another extension, if approved, will be announced before the October 8 Board meeting.

  • Carrollwood Cultural Center

    • The Center is open until 9:00 p.m. only on Mondays and Tuesdays until further notice.

    • The reading room (which has been used for many years for Board meetings for a $100 annual donation) is not available for use (due to the size) until further notice.

    • Meeting rooms are available for half price ($37.50/hour) through November but will return to regular price ($75.00/hour) in December.

    • A request to conduct Board meetings outside the building under the overhang was denied by management.

  • Two nearby churches and Jimmy B. Keel Regional Library, which have meeting rooms, are not renting/offering those rooms to the public until further notice.

  • No meeting room rental expense was included in the District’s FY21 budget.

 

Discussion ensued regarding the issues.  Board meetings can be conducted at a Trustee’s home, but the physical address must be published in the advertisement of the meeting schedule and anyone from the public must be permitted to attend the meeting.  Also, Board meetings can be conducted at local restaurants and other business establishments, but management: 1) may be unwilling to offer meeting space at present due to social distancing requirements and/or 2) may require purchases be made in order to use the space.  Penny asked if Trustees would consider attending monthly Board meetings on Tuesdays instead of Thursdays if it became necessary, and all present agreed that it was feasible.  Since there currently are so many unknowns, the topic was tabled until the September Board meeting.  Trustees should explore other options for no-cost or low-cost meeting accommodations.

 

There being no further business, Penny made a motion, seconded by Anne, that the meeting be adjourned, which was approved by a vote of 6-0, with no opposing votes.  Wendy adjourned the meeting at 7:44 p.m.

 

 

Penny Phillips, Secretary            ____________________________

 

Wendy McCrorey, President      ____________________________