Minutes of the December 13, 2018 Meeting
Board of Trustees of the Beacon Meadows Special Dependent Tax District
Carrollwood Cultural Center, 4537 Lowell Rd., Tampa, Florida

AGENDA

Trustees Present:    Wendy McCrorey (President), Shirley Williams (Vice President), Barbara Appel (Treasurer), Penny Phillips (Secretary), Allen McCrorey (Trustee), Angela Lucero (Trustee)
Trustees Absent:    Anne Blevins (Trustee)
Public Present:    Dena Galyardt

The meeting was called to order by Wendy at 7:01 p.m.

Secretary's Report

The minutes of the November 2018 meeting were read by Trustees in advance.  Barbara made a motion, seconded by Wendy, that the minutes be approved.  The motion was approved by a vote of 6-0.
  

Treasurer's Report (November 2018) (rounded to nearest dollar)

Revenues:  $4,214
Expenses:  
    Utilities - $97
Landscape maintenance - $800
Cash in bank:  $16,180
Available to spend:  $2,680

Barbara commented that the available to spend category would increase as property taxes were paid.

Old Business 

New Fiscal Year Business - Barbara reported that the financial audit has been completed by the accountant at King & Walker, and the invoice for services rendered has been paid.  The next step is for information to be posted to the State's Financial Reporting System by the accountant. Then Barbara and Wendy will need to access the system and sign off on the information. Barbara added that, after some difficulty getting the original bond from RLI, it was submitted to the County Clerk of Circuit Court by November 30.


Referendum to Increase District Assessment - Penny reported that the additional steps for the Board in 2019 will be notifying (via U.S. mail) all homeowners in the District of the public hearing to adopt the assessment roll with the increased assessment and advertising the public hearing with a detailed advertisement prescribed by Florida Statutes.  Barbara reported that she attempted to find a postcard service on-line that would be reasonably priced, but she has been unsuccessful so far. She requested assistance from other Trustees in finding a reasonably-priced on-line postcard service.


Records Management Compliance - Penny reported that she developed a Word table to use as a Records Inventory for the District, which includes items in the State General Records Schedule GS1-SL and accompanying procedures. So far, she has entered Minutes: Official Meetings and Minutes:  Official Meetings (Support Documents) and will do the same for records she has had in her possession as Board Secretary. Because of health reasons, she has not yet begun inventorying the records in the box received from past President Carol Coon, since they have a high concentration of mold and dust. She requested assistance from another Trustee in inventorying that box.  Shirley agreed to do so.  Also, Penny recommended a change in the retention period for support documents to the minutes from two anniversary years to 10 anniversary years, to be consistent with the required retention period for minutes.  Since the Board had approved in 2016 a five-year retention period for minutes, Barbara recommended that the retention period for minutes be corrected at the same time.  Therefore, Penny made a motion, seconded by Barbara, that Minutes: Official Meetings and Minutes: Official Meetings (Support Documents) be approved for a retention period of 10 anniversary years (11 fiscal years, to be in line with the District's timeframe for maintaining records).  The motion was approved by a vote of 6-0.

Increase in Cost of Landscape Maintenance - Wendy reported that she made recommended revisions and corrections to the maintenance contract and e-mailed it twice to Jay Kafcas of Jay's Property Maintenance.  However, she has not received a response from Mr. Kafcas.  Barbara added that she attempted to contact Mr. Kafcas as well but did not receive a response from him either.  The topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.


Irrigation Systems and Dead Plants at Entrances - Wendy reported that Mr. Kafcas has not yet submitted a cost estimate for resolving these issues.  This topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.


Pressure Washing/Painting of Walls - Barbara recommended that the Board consider again having the walls pressure washed and repainted in 2019. She reminded Trustees that Claudio Pinneiro, owner of Bay Pro and resident of Beacon Meadows, offered to paint the Gunn Hwy. and Casey Rd. walls for $5,500, and he would be able to repair stucco, as necessary.  Because Penny was unable to get an answer from Florida Paint on the specific type of paint used by Noel Painting in 2015, Trustees agreed that Sherwin Williams paint may be acceptable. The topic was tabled for a future meeting.

Repainting of Entrance Signs - An estimate will need to be obtained from the company that constructed the signs, which may need to include the cost of replacing the pinstripe and Lexan.  Penny volunteered to look for the company's name in her records.  Barbara recommended obtaining at least two estimates and asked Penny if Byron Turner Auto Body Services would be interested in submitting an estimate for repainting the signs, since auto paint was used on the signs originally.  Penny agreed to ask about this.

ADA Compliance for Website - Barbara reported that all changes have been completed.

Holiday Decorations - Penny made a motion, seconded by Wendy, that decorations be removed from the entrances on January 5 starting at 9:00 a.m. at the Casey Rd. entrance.  The motion was approved by a vote of 6-0.  Penny agreed to text Trustees a reminder. Anne will need to check the wreaths and lights and purchase additional supplies for next year, as necessary.

 

Increased Fee for Auditing of Financial Records - Penny reported that she reviewed the guidelines in the FY19 Guide for Special Dependent Districts to determine what specific steps must be taken if the Board approves an unaudited financial statement due to the increase in the cost of an audited financial statement by King & Walker from $900 in 2018 to $2,200 in 2019.  The fee for a required "compilation" instead of an audit would be $750. Since the District's revenue is less than $50,000, the Board can approve annually not having an audit conducted and notify homeowners of this by U.S. mail prior to September 30 each year.  Penny added that wording for the notification to homeowners and a format for the unaudited financial statement have been provided for the District's use.  Penny recommended that the decision be made by the Board early in 2019 and that the notification to homeowners be mailed in late summer.  The topic was tabled for a future Board meeting. 

New Business

Records Management Compliance Statement - Penny reported that she completed the Records Management Compliance Statement form from the Florida Dept. of State indicating that the District is in compliance to the best of her knowledge.  Wendy signed the form as President, as required, and Penny will mail it for receipt before the end of December 2018.

Major Repairs to Gunn Hwy. Wall - Barbara was informed by T-3 Construction that the principle employees are still available to work with the Board on repairing additional sections of the wall.  Trustees agreed it may be more reasonable for repairs to be made to the wall before it is repainted.  Barbara agreed to contact T-3 Construction to inquire about when the permit will expire and if the cost of repair of wall sections is still $7,000 for large sections and $2,000 for small sections.

Public Comment

Electrical Issues at Entrances - Ms. Galyardt offered the services of her son to work on any electrical issues at the entrances.  Allen responded that there were no problems at present. Trustees thanked Ms. Galyardt for making the offer.

There being no further business, Barbara made a motion, seconded by Shirley, that the meeting be adjourned, which was approved by a vote of 6-0.  Wendy adjourned the meeting at 7:53 p.m.

Penny Phillips, Secretary    ____________________________

Wendy McCrorey, President     ____________________________