Minutes of the February 8, 2018 Meeting
Board of Trustees of the Beacon Meadows Special Dependent Tax District
Carrollwood Cultural Center, 4537 Lowell Rd., Tampa, Florida
AGENDA

Trustees Present:          Wendy McCrorey (President), Shirley Williams (Vice President), Barbara Appel (Treasurer), Penny Phillips (Secretary), Anne Blevins (Trustee), Allen McCrorey (Trustee)

Trustees Absent:           Angela Lucero (Trustee)

 

Public Present:              Dena Galyardt

 

The meeting was called to order by Wendy at 7:06 p.m.

 

Secretary's Report

The minutes of the December 2017 meeting were read by Trustees in advance. Barbara made a motion, seconded by Anne, that the minutes be approved.  The motion was approved by a vote of 6-0. No meeting was conducted in January 2018 due to lack of a quorum.

 

Treasurer’s Report (January 2018)

Revenues:  $967

Expenditures: 

            Landscape maintenance - $775

            Utilities - $157

            Gunn Hwy. wall repair (sections 6, 7, 8) - $16,000

Cash in bank:  $54,492

Available to spend:  $43,037

 

Barbara reported that the water bill for the Casey Rd. entrance was $57, while the water bill for the Gunn Hwy. entrance was $24.00, so there might be a problem at the Casey Rd. entrance.

 

Old Business

 

Irrigation System at Gunn Hwy. Entrance –Allen reported that he replaced the GFIC outlet and weather cover at this entrance.  He provided receipts to Barbara for $30.  Since the Board had approved at the December 2017 meeting that Barbara be reimbursed up to $40 (Budget Category 46.00 - Repair and Maintenance) for parts, she will reimburse Allen.

 

Major Repairs to Gunn Hwy. Wall – Penny reported that T-3 Construction provided a contract for repair of sections 6, 7, and 8, which was signed by Wendy.  The total cost for repair of those sections was $16,000.  Work was continuing on sections 11, 13, 14, and 21, and a contract for repair of those sections was provided, which was signed by Wendy at the meeting.  Invoices for all work completed are also being provided. Work on the west end of the wall (sections 52, 53, and 57) will potentially be delayed if T-3 Construction needs to complete another project first. Penny was advised by Perry Mallory that it was possible for section 12 with the cypress tree roots growing under it to be repaired while the crew was working in the vicinity. The crew would shore up the wall, break the wall loose from the foundation, and use non-shrink grout (7,000 psi) for support.  The roots would actually help to keep the foundation straight.  However, this would require additional funds to be approved by the Board, although less than $7,000, potentially $5,000 to $6,000. Trustees discussed this proposal.  It was agreed that it would be beneficial for section 12 to be repaired at this time if money was available in the budget.  Barbara stated that she would need to review the budget after the meeting.  Therefore, Penny made a motion, seconded by Anne, that $6,000 (Budget Category 46.00 - Repair and Maintenance) be allocated for repair of section 12, if enough money was available in the budget.  However, as an alternative, repair of section 52 or 53 could be delayed so money would be available to repair section 12 at this time.  The motion was approved by a vote of 6-0.  As a final note, Mr. Mallory reported that section 20 would be problematic to repair, since concrete for a pool in the backyard abuts the wall.  Trustees agreed that this will be an easement issue that the homeowner will need to resolve.

 

Referendum to Increase District Assessment – Penny reported that Mary Helen Farris, General Counsel, in the County Attorney’s Office reviewed and approved the referendum language.  Ms. Farris also confirmed that the notice of referendum is to be advertised in the Tampa Times once in the fifth week and once in the third week prior to the week in which the referendum is to be held (August 28, 2018).  However, she was unable to provide an answer to the question:  Can the notice of referendum be published in the Bulletin Board instead of as a legal advertisement?  Ms. Farris instructed Penny to submit the approved language by e-mail to Enjoli White, Candidate Services Liaison, in the County Supervisor of Elections Office, which Penny did.  Penny received confirmation from Ms. White that the referendum language had been received.  Penny will send another e-mail to her asking if the notice of referendum can be published in the Bulletin Board. If an affidavit confirming advertisement of the notice of referendum is required, then it will need to be a legal advertisement.

 

Increase in Cost of Landscape Maintenance – Jay Kafcas of Jay’s Property Maintenance again did not attend the meeting to discuss increasing his services from $775 to $800 per month. Although the increase is not excessive, Trustees discussed the list of concerns/complaints prepared by Wendy, which was based on the original contract effective December 1, 2006 through September 30, 2007, with no additional contract issued after the end date of the first one.  The items of most concern are:  mulching of plant beds twice a year, spraying of Jackson Rd. wall monthly with herbicide (12 inches out from the wall), inspection of sprinklers and drip lines each visit (extra cost for repairs), and continuous weeding of plant beds at entrances.  They will be shared with Mr. Kafcas when he attends a future meeting.  Barbara will continue to pay $775 for the services until then.

 

New Business

 

List of Periodic Responsibilities of Board – Penny requested feedback from Trustees regarding the list she had prepared as a draft.  Feedback was provided, and a few items will be added, revised, or reordered.  Additional research was required to determine the deadline date for submitting the tax roll (spreadsheet) to the County Tax Collector.  Penny will prepare a list in final form for review by Trustees at the March Board meeting.

 

CRC Proposal 69 (Overview) – This proposal, if it had not been defeated, could have potentially resulted in elimination of special districts like Beacon Meadows if a majority of voters in each district voted in a referendum to eliminate the district.  According to the Florida Association of Special Districts:

“Taxes would only be shifted, not eliminated. Special districts are limited-purpose governments, usually only a single purpose, and all revenue they raise is spent on that purpose.  If districts are dissolved, the need for the service or infrastructure still remains so either the county or city will have to assume the service and raise the revenue to pay for it.  Taxpayers will not save money and, in fact, could end up paying more for the same service.”

Penny commented that problems being dealt with by the Board, like repair of the Gunn Hwy. wall, would, in all likelihood, not be addressed in a timely manner if the County needed to pay for the repairs with tax money, so the wall might fall down before any repairs were made.  Barbara added that she thought the proposal may have been made so the burden of collecting taxes from small special districts throughout the state, like Beacon Meadows, would be reduced or eliminated.

 

Irrigation System and Lights at Casey Rd. Entrance – Allen reported that, once he has the keys for the irrigation system at this entrance, he can further inspect the system. Upon initial inspection, he was able to find only three zones of valves and wires, so it is unknown if there is a problem or if the set times are just longer than at the Gunn Hwy. entrance.  He did discover that the sign lights were unplugged, so he plugged them back in.

 

Dead Plants and Ants at Entrances – Discussion ensued among Trustees regarding the plants that have died on the east and south side of the Casey Rd. entrance and the east side of the Gunn Hwy. entrance.  Jay’s Property Maintenance could be paid to replant or replanting could be done by Trustees.  This item was tabled for a future meeting.  Allen added that there are ants at both entrances.  He volunteered to apply insecticide that he had at home to eliminate the problem.

 

Room Reservation for Board Meetings – During the meeting, a staff member of Carrollwood Cultural Center advised Trustees that the meeting was not on the Center’s calendar for use of the library.  Penny volunteered to contact applicable Center staff to ensure that the library will be reserved for Board meetings for the entire fiscal year.

 

There being no further business, Barbara made a motion, seconded by Anne, that the meeting be adjourned, which was approved by a vote of 6-0.  Wendy adjourned the meeting at 8:21 p.m.

 

 

Penny Phillips, Secretary           ____________________________

 

Wendy McCrorey, President    ____________________________