Minutes of the July 13, 2017 Meeting
Board of Trustees of the Beacon Meadows Special Dependent Tax District
Carrollwood Cultural Center, 4537 Lowell Rd., Tampa, Florida

AGENDA

Trustees Present:          Michael Fisher (President), Barbara Appel (Treasurer), Penny Phillips (Secretary), John O’Neill (Trustee), Kathy Boyd (Trustee), Anne Blevins (Trustee)

Trustees Absent:           Dave duCille (Vice President)

Public Present:              Joyce O’Neill

 

The meeting was called to order by Michael at 7:01 p.m.

 

Secretary's Report – The minutes of the June 2017 meeting were read by Trustees in advance.  Barbara made a motion, seconded by John, to approve the minutes.  The motion was approved by a vote of 6-0.

 

Treasurer’s Report (June 2017)

Revenues:  $202.00

Expenditures: 

            Landscape maintenance - $775.00

            Utilities - $254.00

            Newspaper ad (public budget hearing) - $82.00

Cash in bank:  $58,791.00

Available to spend:  $52,312.00

 

Old Business

 

Water Bills at Casey Rd. Entrance – Barbara reported that the bill for the previous month for this entrance was again excessive:  $173.99.  The bill for the Gunn Hwy. entrance was only $28.49.  Barbara put a lock on the hose bib (faucet) at the Casey Rd. entrance in June, but this did not resolve the problem.  Because of the rainy weather, she shut off the water at that entrance and contacted Jay’s Property Maintenance.  She was provided with the names of two irrigation contractors:  Coast-to-Coast Sprinklers and Omni Irrigation. Michael emailed Jay’s Property Maintenance and was referred to John Miragliotta of Omni Irrigation. He and Michael inspected the irrigation timer at the Casey Rd. entrance and discovered that the programming appeared to be off (Saturday and Wednesday). The irrigation system should operate 60 minutes on Monday (3:30-4:30 a.m.); 20 minutes each for three zones. Replacement of the timer was estimated at $250.00. It was determined that there were no leaks from the water meter to the backflow prevention device. Mr. Miragliotta did not charge for the inspection. Michael turned the water back on and is checking the system every morning. Since such a large amount of water is being wasted each month, Barbara recommended that the timer be replaced as soon as possible. Trustees agreed.  Barbara made a motion, seconded by Penny, that $300.00 be allocated (46.00 Repair and Maintenance) for purchase and installation of a new irrigation timer at the Casey Rd. entrance.  The motion was approved by a vote of 6-0. Michael agreed to contact Mr. Miragliotta about replacing the timer.  John commented that a timer may be less expensive if purchased at Amazon.com.  Barbara mentioned that she had a key to the hose bib (faucet) at that entrance if it is ever needed.

 

Major Repairs to Gunn Hwy. Wall – Barbara reported that she had no update from T-3 Construction. She commented that, at some point, the wall may need soil or sod added along the foundation on the Gunn Hwy. side to prevent erosion problems.

 

Referendum to Increase District Assessment – Penny reported that the 6-0 vote at the June 2017 Board meeting for the special assessment amounts for the 2018 referendum (i.e., $125.00, not to exceed $250.00, per annum per residential parcel) was a duplication of the 6-0 vote at the February 2017 Board meeting.  Therefore, she recommended that the February 2017 minutes be used instead of the June 2017 minutes for verifying the vote.  Trustees agreed.  Michael commented that the referendum wording needs to be approved by Mary Mahoney, County Management & Budget, before June 2018.  Barbara recommended that this be done in the near future so it will be ready for submission before the deadline date.  Michael agreed to do so.

 

Search for New Trustee – Penny reported that she did not have an opportunity to speak with either Shirley or Greg Williams about becoming a Trustee but would try to do so before the next Board meeting. A question was asked about having two Trustees on the Board who live at the same address.  This is permissible and has occurred at least twice in the past.

 

New Business

 

Pressure Cleaning of Walls – John recommended that the Gunn Hwy. wall be cleaned to preserve the paint.  Barbara added that the Jackson Rd. wall needs cleaning as well.  Integrity Pressure Cleaning has performed work for the District in the past and made arrangements with the County to use fire hydrant water.  Penny volunteered to contact Integrity for estimates for both walls.  John volunteered to ask Ralph Quaglia, who pressure cleaned his house recently, if he would be interested in submitting an estimate. Anne will also contact someone she knows about an estimate.  Penny reminded them to ask if they will make arrangements with the County to use fire hydrant water.

 

There being no further business, Michael made a motion, seconded by Anne, that the meeting be adjourned, which was approved by a vote of 6-0.  Michael adjourned the meeting at 7:36 p.m.

 

 

Penny Phillips, Secretary            ____________________________

 

Michael Fisher, President          ____________________________