Minutes of the June 13, 2019 Meeting
Board of Trustees of the Beacon Meadows Special Dependent Tax District
Carrollwood Cultural Center, 4537 Lowell Rd., Tampa, Florida

AGENDA

Trustees Present:          Wendy McCrorey (President), Shirley Williams (Vice President), Barbara Appel (Treasurer), Penny Phillips (Secretary), Allen McCrorey (Trustee), Anne Blevins (Trustee)

Trustees Absent:           Angela Lucero (Trustee)

Public Present:              Dena Galyardt

 

The meeting was called to order by Wendy at 7:00 p.m.

 

Secretary's Report

The minutes of the May 2019 meeting were read by Trustees in advance.  Anne made a motion, seconded by Barbara, that the minutes be approved.  The motion was approved by a vote of 6-0. 

 

Treasurer’s Report (May 2019) (rounded to nearest dollar)

Revenues:  $0

Expenses: 

            Utilities - $89

            Landscape maintenance - $800

            Postcards for assessment hearing - $156

            Legal ad for assessment hearing - $233

            Bulletin Board ad for budget hearing - $79

            WIX web hosting - $168

Cash in bank:  $26,110

Available to spend:  $18,611

 

Old Business

 

Referendum to Increase District Assessment – Penny reported that the postcards to property owners and the legal advertisement to announce the assessment hearing were timely.  She has the postcard she received and the page from the Tampa Bay Times (Tampa Tribune North) with the legal advertisement as proof.  Barbara gave her the notarized document from the Tampa Bay Times for the file as well. Penny also reported that, later this summer, Mary Mahoney, County Management & Budget, will be requesting documentation of the legal advertisement of the assessment hearing, the minutes of the hearing, and the notice of the hearing sent to property owners.  That will conclude the process.

 

Repainting of Entrance Signs – This project is complete, including installation of the new rope lights by Allen. Barbara pointed out that the signs need to be waxed in the near future to preserve the finish and asked Anne if she had the marine wax that was used for waxing the signs in the past.  Anne said she was certain she had it but would need to find it.

 

Irrigation Systems and Dead Plants at Entrances – No additional information was provided by Jay’s Property Maintenance.  A cost estimate for spreading pine bark mulch instead of red mulch is pending. Also, work on the irrigation systems cannot begin until the Board finds out if a grant will be awarded.  The topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.

 

Future Pressure Washing/Painting of Walls – Barbara has still not received a proposal for this project from the resident in Beacon Meadows. Dave Tillery, another resident in Beacon Meadows who has a painting business, may submit a proposal. The topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.

 

Increased Fee for Auditing of Financial Records/Unaudited Financial Records – In the March 2019 meeting, Trustees voted to approve preparation and submission of an unaudited financial statement for the current fiscal year, pursuant to County guidelines. However, it was agreed that the notification letters to property owners and the County would not be prepared and mailed until sometime after the public budget hearing in June.  Therefore, the topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.

 

Major Repairs to Gunn Hwy. Wall – The topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.

 

Records Management Compliance – Penny reported that, while looking for specific information pertaining to the District, she reviewed the labels of all file folders in the box with old records that must be inventoried.  Of particular interest was the folder with documentation regarding establishment of the District and one with the District’s ordinance.  She also noted that several folders contained tax roll and budget information.  She will work with Barbara on documentation and destruction, as appropriate, of the contents of these folders. 

 

SWFWMD Cost-Sharing Grant for Florida-Friendly Landscaping –Shirley reported that she had not yet gathered information on this grant but would do so. Therefore, the topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.

 

Hillsborough County Low-Volume Irrigation Grant – Shirley prepared a second draft of the grant proposal.  She did not have information to complete the section requiring a detailed description of the current irrigation systems.  Barbara recommended “drip line system in planters and emitters on minimal turf.”  Shirley responded that the description may need to be more detailed than that and/or an “as built” map needed to be attached.  Since Barbara and Penny recalled that the current systems were installed after the District was awarded a County mini-grant, possibly 2004 or 2005, Penny agreed to look for this information in the minutes and in the box of old records.  She also agreed to finalize the grant proposal. Since the grant proposal needs to be hand-delivered to the County, Shirley volunteered to do that.

 

New Business

 

2018 Statement of Financial Interests – All Trustees must complete and mail this form in the envelope provided so it is received by July 1, 2019.  Anne requested assistance in completing the form, which was provided during the meeting.

 

New Hillsborough County Special District Information Form – Penny reported that Mary Mahoney, County Management & Budget, provided a new form that replaces the previous form.  An updated form for the District will not need to be submitted until the beginning of the new fiscal year in October 2019, unless a Trustee must be replaced before then.

 

Post Office Box for District – Barbara recommended that the Board consider renting a post office box for the District so it will have an official address and the Registered Agent will no longer need to use a home address for District business.  Trustees agreed, and Anne volunteered to look into the price of renting a letter-size box at the UPS Store at the corner or Gunn Hwy. and Anderson Rd.  Barbara added that a mail forwarding service should also be included in the price.

 

There being no further business, Penny made a motion, seconded by Wendy, that the meeting be adjourned, which was approved by a vote of 6-0.  Wendy adjourned the meeting at 7:30 p.m.

 

 

Penny Phillips, Secretary            ____________________________

 

Wendy McCrorey, President      ____________________________