Minutes of the May 11, 2017 Meeting
Board of Trustees of the Beacon Meadows Special Dependent Tax District
Carrollwood Cultural Center, 4537 Lowell Rd., Tampa, Florida

Trustees Present:          Michael Fisher (President), Dave duCille (Vice President), Barbara Appel (Treasurer), John O’Neill (Trustee), Kathy Boyd (Trustee)

 Trustees Absent:           Penny Phillips (Secretary), Anne Blevins (Trustee)

 Public Present:              Joyce O’Neill


The meeting was called to order by Michael at 7:06 p.m.


Secretary's Report – The minutes of the March 2017 meeting were read by Trustees in advance.  Barbara made a motion, seconded by Michael, to approve the minutes.  The motion was approved by a vote of 5-0.  There were no minutes for the April 2017 meeting due to lack of a quorum.


Treasurer’s Report (April 2017)

Revenues:  $509


            Landscape maintenance - $775

            Utilities - $167

Cash in bank:  $60,697

Available to spend:  $52,277


Old Business


Mailbox for District –This topic was tabled until further notice.


Trees Hanging Over Gunn Hwy. Wall – John reported that the trees have been trimmed.  He contacted TECO and was given the phone number for the County department that is responsible for right-of-way maintenance.  The trees were trimmed by that department.  Trustees thanked John for his efforts. 


Referendum to Increase District Assessment – Michael reported that the referendum cannot take place until 2018, so this topic was tabled until all members of the Board are present.


Board Meeting Signs – It appears that damage to the meeting sign at the Casey Rd. entrance has been reduced since the sign has been posted after Tuesdays, which is when the landscape maintenance staff are working at the entrance.  Dave reported that, if the need arises, a new sign can be ordered and available well within the timeframe for posting it for the next monthly meeting.  This topic was tabled until potential future action is required.


Major Repairs to Gunn Hwy. Wall – Barbara contacted T-3 Construction and was advised that the ground is currently too dry to attempt wall repair.  Once the rainy season has arrived, T-3 Construction should be able to give the Board a more accurate projection of when the repair work can begin.


State Public Records Retention Rule Revision – This topic was tabled until the June 2017 meeting due to Penny’s absence.


New Business


FY18 Public Budget Hearing – The hearing must be held in June 2017.  Barbara made a motion, seconded by Dave, that the hearing be conducted on June 8, 2017 at 7:30 p.m. at the Carrollwood Cultural Center following the regular monthly Board meeting.  The motion was approved by a vote of 5-0.


FY18 Public Budget Hearing Announcement – Barbara reported that she will look up the details of when the ad needs to be published.  She will try to place a bulletin board ad instead of a legal ad as a cost-saving measure.


Water Bills at Casey Rd. Entrance – The monthly bills at this entrance have been high:  $80 to $90, as opposed to around $30 at the Gunn Hwy. entrance. Barbara contact Jay’s Property Maintenance and was advised that the irrigation system, installed in about 2006 (maybe earlier), is decaying and may need to be replaced.  When Michael met with Jay to discuss the matter, he was told that there was no problem with the system and that $80 for the water bill at one entrance isn’t high.  Michael volunteered to monitor the water meter and to continue to address this matter with Jay.  Barbara will provide Michael with the log-in information for the monthly on-line water statements.


Future Resignation of Trustee – Dave reported that he and his wife are expecting their first child, have purchased a larger house outside of Beacon Meadows, and are working on renovating it.  They plan to move into their new home in the summer of 2017.  Dave now owns and will continue to own two houses in Beacon Meadows, and he has offered to stay on the Board until a replacement for him is found.


There being no further business, Michael made a motion, seconded by John, that the meeting be adjourned, which was approved by a vote of 5-0.  Michael adjourned the meeting at 7:40 p.m.



Minutes recorded by Barbara Appel, Treasurer   ____________________________


Minutes prepared by Penny Phillips, Secretary    ____________________________


Michael Fisher, President                                  ____________________________