Minutes of the May 9, 2019 Meeting
Board of Trustees of the Beacon Meadows Special Dependent Tax District
Carrollwood Cultural Center, 4537 Lowell Rd., Tampa, Florida

AGENDA

Trustees Present:          Wendy McCrorey (President), Shirley Williams (Vice President), Barbara Appel (Treasurer), Penny Phillips (Secretary), Allen McCrorey (Trustee), Angela Lucero (Trustee)

Trustees Absent:           Anne Blevins (Trustee)

 

The meeting was called to order by Wendy at 7:05 p.m.

 

Secretary's Report  

The minutes of the March 2019 meeting were read by Trustees in advance.  Barbara made a motion, seconded by Shirley, that the minutes be approved.  The motion was approved by a vote of 6-0.  Due to lack of a quorum, no meeting was conducted in April 2019.

 

Treasurer’s Report (April 2019) (rounded to nearest dollar)

Revenues:  $839

Expenses: 

            Utilities - $91

            Landscape maintenance - $800

            Repainting of entrance signs (Allied Signage) - $4,320

Cash in bank:  $26,879

Available to spend:  $18,379

 

Old Business

Referendum to Increase District Assessment – Barbara reported that final revisions were made to the postcard to property owners and to the legal advertisement regarding the public assessment hearing.  Postcards will be mailed between May 15 and May 24, with a date on the postcard of May 24. Cost of this mailing is $155.55.  The legal ad will be in the May 24 publication of the Tampa Bay Times.  However, Barbara was contacted about the diagram of the subdivision in the ad being inadequate, so she is waiting for further information about that.  The cost of the ad is currently $223.00, but it may be more with a different diagram.  The Bulletin Board ad for the public budget hearing will also be in the May 24 publication of the Tampa Bay Times and will cost $78.56.  Total cost for all three is currently $457.11.

Repainting of Entrance Signs – Wendy reported that Allied Signage installed the repainted signs at the Casey Rd. entrance and also started work on the Gunn Hwy. entrance signs.  She hoped the work on those signs would be finished soon.  Allen reported that he built light panels for installing the rope lights behind the Casey Rd. signs, since they did not have panels like those on the Gunn Hwy. signs. He presented receipts in the amount of $54.36 for supplies for building the two panels.  Penny made a motion, seconded by Barbara, that Allen be reimbursed $54.36 for those supplies (budget category 46.00, Repair and Maintenance).  The motion was approved by a vote of 6-0.

 

Irrigation Systems and Dead Plants at Entrances – No additional information was provided by Jay’s Property Maintenance or Omni Irrigation. The topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.

 

Future Pressure Washing/Painting of Walls – Since Barbara has still not received a proposal for this project, the topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.

 

Increased Fee for Auditing of Financial Records/Unaudited Financial Records – In the March 2019 meeting, Trustees voted to approve preparation and submission of an unaudited financial statement for the current fiscal year, pursuant to County guidelines. However, it was agreed that the notification letters to property owners and the County would not be prepared and mailed until sometime after the public budget hearing in June.  Therefore, the topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.

 

 

Major Repairs to Gunn Hwy. Wall – The topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.

 

Records Management Compliance – Penny reported that no additional progress on inventorying old records has been made, so the topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.

 

SWFWMD Cost-Sharing Grant for Florida-Friendly Landscaping – At the March 2019 meeting, Shirley had volunteered to research what constitutes Florida-friendly plants and to present her findings to Trustees.  She reported that she had not yet gathered the information but would do so. Therefore, the topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.

 

New Business

 

Hillsborough County Low-Volume Irrigation Grant – Shirley reported that she found this grant while doing an on-line search.  Based on the criteria outlined in the grant, it appears that the District is eligible to apply for it.  She had completed as much of the grant application as she could before the meeting and requested input from Trustees at the meeting.  Barbara and Penny were able to supply some of the additional information, and Trustees made recommendations for how Shirley could gather the rest. She agreed to complete the grant application and provide Trustees with a draft at a future Board meeting.

 

Records Management Seminar – Penny reported that she received an announcement that a records management seminar will be held in Clearwater on August 27, 2019 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.  The cost for attendance is $90.00 per person.  However, it is her opinion that she has enough information and resources available for adequate records management compliance without attending the seminar.  Trustees agreed.

 

Preparation for Public Assessment and Budget Hearings (June 13, 2019) – Wendy agreed to prepare the budget and associated documents for the budget hearing, with assistance from Barbara, as needed.  Wendy also agreed to notify Mary Mahoney, County Management and Budget, that the District would not meet the County’s June 14 deadline for submission of the budget package.  Penny reported that she had contacted Ms. Mahoney to ask if there were guidelines for conducting the assessment hearing and responding to any written objections that may be received.  She replied that there were no guidelines, only what was provided in the County Tax Collector’s “NAV Booklet.”  Therefore, Penny drafted an outline for conducting the assessment hearing, with the objective of covering all the details during the hearing, and requested questions and input from Trustees. Penny responded to questions, and Trustees agreed that the outline was acceptable.

State Auditor General Inquiry – Barbara reported that she received a letter inquiring about certificates of deposit held by the District, which the Auditor General interpreted as being reported in the 2017-18 audit report.  Since the District does not have any certificates of deposit, King & Walker sent an official response to the Auditor General to clear up the misunderstanding and rectify the situation.

There being no further business, Allen made a motion, seconded by Shirley, that the meeting be adjourned, which was approved by a vote of 6-0.  Wendy adjourned the meeting at 8:10 p.m.

 

 

Penny Phillips, Secretary            ____________________________

 

Wendy McCrorey, President      ____________________________