Minutes of the November 8, 2018 Meeting
Board of Trustees of the Beacon Meadows Special Dependent Tax District
Carrollwood Cultural Center, 4537 Lowell Rd., Tampa, Florida
AGENDA

Trustees Present:          Wendy McCrorey (President), Barbara Appel (Treasurer), Penny Phillips (Secretary), Allen McCrorey (Trustee), Angela Lucero (Trustee)

Trustees Absent:           Shirley Williams (Vice President), Anne Blevins (Trustee)

 

The meeting was called to order by Wendy at 7:01 p.m.

 
Secretary's Report 

The minutes of the October 2018 meeting were read by Trustees in advance.  Barbara made a motion, seconded by Wendy, that the minutes be approved.  The motion was approved by a vote of 5-0.

 

Treasurer’s Report (October 2018) (rounded to nearest dollar)

Revenues:  $161

Expenses:  $1,237

            Utilities - $96

            Insurance - $100

Landscape maintenance - $800

Dept. of Economic Opportunity fee - $175

Meeting ad - $66

Cash in bank:  $13,763

Available to spend:  (737)

 

Barbara commented that the available to spend category would increase as property taxes were paid.

 

Old Business

 

New Fiscal Year Business – Penny reported that all business has been completed, except for three items that are related to finalizing the annual financial audit.  Barbara reported that she received a draft of the audit on November 7 but did not have a chance to review it yet.  She added that she had contacted RLI in a letter dated October 21 about receiving an original bond for submission to the County Clerk of Circuit Court by November 30.  However, she had not received a response.  This was the first year that an original bond was required to be submitted. 

Referendum to Increase District Assessment – After the October Board meeting, Penny sent an e-mail to Mary Mahoney, County Management & Budget. It stated that, based on a review of applicable Florida Statutes and the Special District Program Non-Ad Valorem Booklet instructions, some of the steps for implementation of the assessment increase did not appear to apply to Beacon Meadows, since it has already had non-ad valorem taxes collected by the County Tax Collector’s Office.  She also spoke with Ms. Mahoney on the phone about this matter. Shortly thereafter, Ms. Mahoney sent a follow-up e-mail to correct the misunderstanding she had about the process. Therefore, the additional steps for the Board will be notifying (via U.S. mail) all homeowners in the District of the public hearing to adopt the assessment roll with the increased assessment and advertising the public hearing with a detailed advertisement prescribed by Florida Statutes.

Records Management Compliance – Penny reported that she was able to inventory and document the box of records that she has had in her possession as Board Secretary but has not yet begun inventorying the records in the box received from past President Carol Coon. She added that she received the Records Management Compliance Statement form from the Florida Dept. of State that must be completed by her and signed by Wendy before the end of 2018.

 

List of Accomplishments for District – Penny reported that she posted a short article on Next Door emphasizing homeowners’ tax dollars at work based on three major accomplishments in fiscal year 2017-18.  She will provide a copy of the article to Barbara for inclusion on the District website.

Increase in Cost of Landscape Maintenance – Wendy provided Trustees with a copy of the contract that was submitted by Jay Kafcas of Jay’s Property Maintenance. Penny commented that the contract needed editing for clarity and accuracy. She provided editing suggestions and recommended that the contract dates be 10/1/18 – 9/30/19 to correspond to the District’s fiscal year and that the terms “summertime” and “wintertime” be defined.  Wendy offered to work on editing the contract before contacting Mr. Kafcas. Barbara reported that there is an additional $775 in the budget that needs to be reconciled in order for the financial records to balance.  She will get clarification from Mr. Kafcas if he is billing for the past month or upcoming month, which would explain the discrepancy.rbara reported that there is an additional $775 in the budget that may still be owed to Mr. Kafcas and needs to be reconciled in order for the financial records to balance.

Irrigation Systems and Dead Plants at Entrances – Wendy reported that Mr. Kafcas has not yet submitted a cost estimate for resolving these issues.  This topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.

Future Pressure Washing/Painting of Walls – This topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.

 

Repainting of Entrance Signs – This topic was tabled for a future Board meeting.

 

ADA Compliance for Website – Barbara reported that she did not have an opportunity to do any addition work in this area.

 

Holiday Decorations – It was approved at an earlier Board meeting that decorations will be put up at entrances on December 1.  Penny made a motion, seconded by Wendy, that the work will start at 9:00 a.m. at the Casey Rd. entrance.  The motion was approved by a vote of 5-0.  Penny agreed to text Trustees a reminder.

 

New Business

 

Meeting Sign at Gunn Hwy. Entrance – Barbara asked Angela if she would put up and take down the meeting sign at that entrance before and after the monthly Board meetings.  She agreed to do so.

 

Increased Fee for Auditing of Financial Records – Barbara reported that she received a letter from King & Walker, the District’s CPA firm, notifying the Board that the fee for the annual audit would increase from $900 to $2,200 in 2019.  However, the District’s revenue is less than $50,000, so, as an alternative, the Board can approve not having an audit conducted and notify homeowners of this by U.S. mail prior to September 30 each year. The fee for a required “compilation” instead of an audit would be $750.  Trustees discussed discontinuing the audit process due to the sharp increase in cost.  Penny agreed to review the guidelines in the FY19 Guide for Special Dependent Districts and report what additional steps must be taken if the audit process was discontinued.

 

There being no further business, Penny made a motion, seconded by Barbara, that the meeting be adjourned, which was approved by a vote of 5-0.  Wendy adjourned the meeting at 7:41 p.m.

 

Penny Phillips, Secretary            ____________________________

 

Wendy McCrorey, President      ____________________________